Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Meet Smooshers member Sharp Art by Dawna

 Dawna, of Sharp Art by Dawna on ArtFire.com, creates one of a kind pendants and unbaked canes.  She was kind enough to answer a few questions and allow us a look into her world of polymer clay.
Blues and Greens Diamond Polymer Clay Necklace Abstract Landscape Polymer Clay Pendant Cobalt Blue Flower Heart Polymer Clay Pendant Necklace
With all the mediums available for crafting why did you choose Polymer clay?
I had lost my job and had to move to a smaller place. I needed to start a home based craft business with a small studio. I chose polymer clay for lack of space. Never dreamed I'd love it so much!
How did you learn to use polymer clay? Internet, experimenting, books, classes.....
Internet was my main source for learning. Then I found facebook and bounced questions off the pros. I wasn't able to watch any dvds or videos until 8 months into my learning stage. I tried to learn as much as I could at a very fast pace.
What is your favorite tool to work with?
A double pointed knitting needle. I seem to use it for every piece I make. Very handy indeed.
Do you like to work with any mediums other than polymer clay?
I love creating designs on silk and landscape painting.
What is your favorite polymer clay technique and why?
I have so many. It really depends on what mood I'm in. I go through phases. One of my favs is making canes. I also love working with foils, inks and translucent clay. Then the Mokume Gane bugs bites and off I go on that.
What is your least favorite technique and why?
Haven't found a least yet.
What is on your "to do" or "to learn" list?
Dan Cormier's techniques.
Mica Shift
Janice Abarbanel's Crackling Lentil Beads
Grant Diffendaffer's lathe turned beads
Do you mix your own colors? Why or why not?
For the most part yes unless I need pearlized colors. I can custom create what I want plus I feel like I save money. I love to stock up on cobalt blue, yellows and red. I like to buy Fuchsia and Violet though as they are hard to mix.
How do you keep your designs fresh and original?
I try NOT to copy other's work although I do get inspired from looking at it. I don't know...things just come to me. I rarely even look at books.
What keeps you from getting into a creative rut?
I'll make something off the wall like a light bulb critter or something different.
What is your favorite brand of clay if you have one and why?
PREMO! PREMO! PREMO! It is flexible for bangles, strong in solid pieces like my pendants and it buffs to a glass like shine. Especially the black.

If you are new to clay give yourself time to learn. You had to learn to walk before you could run. Never give up. It can be quite a rewarding adventure!
Find the Smooshers on Facebook
Visit the Smooshers Blog
Join the conversation on the Smooshers forums

1 Smooshing Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I love that green pendant!