Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Favorite Technique: Mokume Gane

This post is written by WireRunsThroughIt

Hello! Right now I think my favorite technique is Mokume Gane and creating skinner blends.
I just created a loaf that was really amazing.

Each piece I create with the Mokume Gane technique is usually my favorite piece.
Mokume Gane is Japanese and it means "wood eye metal". The process involves taking usually metal colors, and creating thin slices and painting on one side of each sheet then you stack them on top of another and take a dull rounded instrument like a straw and poke holes into the loaf, in some cases you can fill the holes with a different color to create an "eye" or knot pattern. Then you take a blade and slice it very thin to get flakes that you can arrange onto another sheet roll into a patterned sheet or create individual beads.

I also like to use fabricated ivory with mokume gane, as it is very Japanese, Ivory is another staple I see a lot in Asian work, so I wanted to incorporate either ivory or bamboo. When I create I like to keep it in theme and get as close to the actual look as possible, or I create with no hold barred attitude and throw all reason out the window! I like extremes!

Here is my latest piece created with Polymer clay.



Visit WireRunsThroughIt.artfire.com

1 Smooshing Thoughts:

Victor Allen Colon said...

Wow! I just sold this on the 28th along with matching earrings! Thanks for the rush! =)

Emily Clair, I love your work too!