Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Favorite Technique: Extruder Canes

By HaffinaCreations and BeadsByHaffina

My current favourite technique involves the use of my newest tool, an extruder. I love to make extruder canes! There are several different techniques that others have developed and there are sure to be others in the future.
An extruder allows you to make long shapes of clay that are uniform in size. This is actually fabulous for making such things as Kaleidoscope canes or very geometric types of canes, but there are some even more fabulous things you can do.
I learnt a couple of techniques from Cindi Lietz, and one from our very own Carolyn (2goodclaymates).
The picture below shows three fabulous extruder canes.



The maroony coloured one with the big hole is from Carolyn's swirly extruder cane - the light sections are glow in the dark. Carolyn's idea has amazing potential and I am keen to explore it further.
The two roundish beads are made with Extruder Flower Canes. This is a really amazing technique that makes the quickest millefiori beads ever!
The super looking pendant at the front is an Extruder Mod Cane. Again it is super simple, but the effect is remarkable, and again there is lots of room to explore.
With such fantastic results it is not surprising it is my current favourite technique.

Visit HaffinaCreations.artfire.com and BeadsByHaffina.artfire.com

2 Smooshing Thoughts:

Em+Mad said...

Very cool! I bought an extruder, but I haven't tried it yet. It maybe time to work with it!

PolymerClayTutor said...

Great looking beads and pendants! You are going to love all the things you can create with your new extruder. Really the possibilities are endless!

PS. Thanks for the mention. I appreciate that! ~Cindy Lietz