Thursday, April 14, 2011

Introducing DreamWeaversDesigns

Multicolored mod cane puffy pendant
DreamWeaversDesigns


What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
I originally got into beading with my daughter. So many people do the same type of work, that I wanted something that would set our little craft business apart and hold my interest. Enter polymer clay. I bought a few packs and books, and I was hooked.

What inspires you to create?
Honestly, looking at other artisans works. When I first started reviewing all the books I bought, I couldn't believe they used clay. Looking at all the possibilities; colors, designs, etc., I just get this overwhelming desire to create.

Do you have a favorite technique?
Not really. I like mokume gane, faux techniques, and, recently, working with translucent clay for dimensional looking pieces. I'm trying to re-create the look of dichroic glass.


Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
Gosh, I don't know. When I make something I think is my favorite piece, I look at it later and change my mind after I make something else! Right now, I'm really liking the work I'm doing with transulcent clay.

Black & white swirled heart


What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
I like making focal pendants. I don't always have the patience to make a multi-piece design, say like for a beaded necklace. Sometimes, I make several beads that I think will look great together, then I get involved in the pendants, and I never finish the piece.

How do you decide what to make?
Usually, it's based on the color I feel like using that day. I try to make different sizes, then have to decide if I want to use a stamp and pearlex powders, or make a mokume gane cane to slice, or just mix random colors to swirl together.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
I'm not too good at making kaleidoscope canes. I really envy the talent that is out there, and would love to be able to make (at least one) great looking cane!

What makes polymer clay a better fit for your products than other mediums?
Again, there are sooo many jewelry makers, especially those that utilize beads. Don't get me wrong, there are many beautiful, wonderful pieces made but very talented artisans. What started as a possible good business move, turned into a passion that's fun and therapeutic!

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
Don't get frustrated and give up! There are so many resources out there; learn the basics, don't be intimidated by something you think you'll never be able to do and most importantly...have fun.

Visit DreamWeaversDesigns.artfire.com

4 Smooshing Thoughts:

Miss Val's Creations said...

The heart is fabulous! Polymer clay is such a neat craft. ~Val

Jan said...

Thanks so much Val!

Cat said...

Lovely items!

Desert Rubble said...

Wow, that heart is drop dead gorgeous, love it!
Lynn