Sunday, January 24, 2010

intothedawn

intothedawn

Photobucket


With all the mediums available for crafting why did you choose Polymer clay?
Something "clicked" when I found polymer clay, I loved working with it from the very start. I've always wanted to work with clay, ever since I was a kid, and finding a clay that came in all sorts of colors, that I could bake at home, without needing expensive equipment-- I was sold!

How did you learn to use polymer clay? Internet, experimenting, books, classes.....
Books first and then the internet.What is wonderful about polymer clay artists is that they are all so willing to share techniques, so I've found tons of valuable information online. And experimenting is always part of the process, too.

What is your favorite tool to work with?
My other creative addiction is rubber stamping, and clay & stamps are fantastic together! I use all sorts of cutters, too, always looking for new styles & shapes. I would have to say that I use my pasta machine & needle tool quite a bit, as well.

Do you like to work with any mediums other than polymer clay?
I'm an avid thread crocheter and I love using watercolor and regular colored pencils, too.

What is your favorite polymer clay technique & why?
I don't know if its necessarily a technique, but I really enjoy playing around with inclusions-- adding different things to the clay like herbs, paint, gold leaf, etc. to see what sort of color or texture I end up with.

What is your least favorite technique and why?
So far I haven't run into a least favorite technique, although anything with a million steps to the process rather dampens my enthusiasm. LOL

What is on your "to do" or "to learn" list?
I really want to learn how to do image transfers and I want to improve my sculpting skills. And I want to work more with canes and mokume gane at some point, too.

Do you mix your own colors? Why or why not?
I have done some color mixing with recipes I've found online and I really enjoyed mixing new colors. I'd like to do more of that and create my own color palette at some point. I think using mixed colors creates a whole new and unique look for whatever is being made. I have a huge love affair with color, so learning more about color mixing is another biggie on my "to do/learn" list.

How do you keep your designs fresh and original?
Most of my work tends to be inspired by nature, fantasy, mythology & different cultures & spiritual paths from around the world. I think drawing from these different areas helps keep my pieces unique.

What keeps you from getting into a creative rut?
My favorite poly clay artists, Laura Mika, Christi Friesen and Tammara Scott always inspire me. Browsing through my poly clay books and magazines always helps too-- I never fail to see or read about something and think-- "Hey, now THAT I need to try!"

What is your favorite brand of clay if you have one and why?
I have only ever used Premo clay because I like it so much and it is easy to work with and very versatile.

Is there anything else that you would like to add?
Finding my creative niche made me realize I really am an artistic person. And I now believe that EVERYONE is artistic-- its all just a matter of finding the right medium to work with-- for me it was polymer clay.

intothedawn.artfire.com
intothedawn on etsy
intothedawn's blog

1 Smooshing Thoughts:

Em+Mad said...

I love Dawn's work, she is amazing!!!