Thursday, June 30, 2011

Favorite Tool: cake decorating tools

By gamekitty

One of my favorites at the moment is using cake decorating tools to make pipings:

posted image


I use this with a mix of poly clay + TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) to make the royal icing consistency, then carefully pipe it into my creations.

Here is an example of a meringue tower I made with this technique:

posted image

Visit gamekitty.artfire.com


*gamekitty, itty bitty supplies and live-mini are all copyright to Betty Hagen

7 Smooshing Thoughts:

Diane Cransac said...

clever girl!

Rhiannon said...

What a neat idea! I love that effect!

ArtFairly Aware said...

That is an awesome idea! I used to decorate cakes when my kids were little and have tons of tips. I'll have to get them out and play with them again!

Cat said...

So cool!

Janie said...

Awesome work with that! I've always wondered if those would work. Is it a pain to get the clay mixture to the right consistancy to flow?

Betty said...

Oh wow thank you for the feature!

Janie: In order to get that texture I can swear that I spent hours mixing that mixture to get it the royal icing consistency. I say royal icing and not buttercream because it has to be really stiff, and stuff = lots of hard whipping. It can be a pain but the results are worth it!

irene said...

how can i contact you?