Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Introducing LaughingMoonArts


LaughingMoonArts


What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
The colors, the ease of use, I did not need a lot of equipment (although I have amassed a lot over the past few years.)The multitude of things you can make with PC.

What inspires you to create?
I find my creativity and inspiration in a spiritual and meditative space. I love finding new color combinations and trying new techniques.

Do you have a favorite technique?
I love mokume gane, and I have made an adaptation of the lizard tails (I call it Wizard Tales) that creates an amazing pattern. I use this pattern with sculpted faces to create my 'Goofy Gals' & 'Wacky Women' & Garden Divas.

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
That is like saying which one is your favorite child...

wind goddess


What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
Adornments for Your and Your Special Places. I like making the goddesses as wall hangings.

How do you decide what to make?
I experimented with different things, but my start was making little strings of PC beads mixed with semi-precious stones and crystals and calling them Zen Beads (or X-mas Tree ornaments). I continued making these hanging decorations, continuing to embellish and add more components. I love gardens and making 'Garden Divas' was the next stage of my evolution. These included a molded face with lots of sculpted floral elements ala Christie Friesen. I began sculpting my own faces and discovered my 'Wizard Tales'. I love making these because it is always a surprise when you open them up. I have received a lot of positive feed back on these and the Gallery Sales are also good on these pieces. I would be less than honest if I said sales do not influence my production, however, when I get compliments and positive feed back on something I do like making, I am definitely jazzed to go back and make more.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
I sculpt my faces to look silly, goofy, wacky...but I would really like to learn to make more realistic faces. I work on this each time I sculpt a face.

What makes polymer clay a better fit for your products than other mediums?
The ability to mix custom colors and colorful designs, not needing a high heat kiln. The light weight of finished polymer pieces, and the sculpt-ability of PC.

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
When I teach my classes, often to older adults, I try to move them into their child space. I encourage them to play and have fun. There are no mistakes, if you don't like that color mix more ecru in (Julie Picarello's mantra from a class I took from her). I also encourage them to access the wealth of inspiration from places like Polymer Clay Daily. I have a blog where my students can go to find links to some of the amazing PC art being created. And I share with them that I just picked some PC up when I was playing with kids, and here I am 7 or so years later. Just try it, you'll like it.

Visit LaughingMoonArts.artfire.com

1 Smooshing Thoughts:

Desert Rubble said...

Your polymer clay wall hangings are awesome! Love how creative you are and the 'Wizrd's Tails', too, they are wonderful!