Monday, October 3, 2011

Meet polymer Clay Smoosher member GemsPCCreations

 Lupe, of GemsPCCreations, loves smooshing clay and creates beautiful jewelry, pendants, and more.  She was kind enough to share a little about herself in this interview.
Faux Dichroic Square Flower Pendant Harvest Masquerade Display Mask Tiki Duo Polymer Clay Cabachons Celestial Green Swirl Polymer Clay Cabachon
With all the mediums available for crafting why did you choose Polymer clay?
I chose Polymer Clay as a medium once I found that I could make my own beads. pendants and jewelry, since I happen to love string beading and designing jewelry. It is so versatile which is a huge plus for me...there's just no end to it!
How did you learn to use polymer clay? Internet, experimenting, books, classes.....
I first learned about Polymer Clay when I was volunteering at the Glendale Bead Museum (which is no longer...sad to say!). I took a class with Christi Friesen that was hosted by the museum and I was hooked! Then I joined a local polymer clay guild and I bought more tools and more clay and I haven't stopped!
What is your favorite tool to work with? 
Gosh, my favorite tool...that is a tough question because I have so many! I guess the one I use the most would have to be the pasta machine. Blending various colors of clay with that makes "playing with clay" so much easier!
Do you like to work with any mediums other than polymer clay? 
I love string beading and macrame.
What is your favorite polymer clay technique and why? 
My favorite techniques are: image transfer and Mokume Gane...thanks to some wonderful teachers! I like that you can make a polymer clay piece a personal piece as well, by transferring photos onto clay, and also taking a beautiful piece of art and transferring that on to the clay. As for the Mokume Gane, I love the designs that you get when you slice into that cane...never know what you are going to get!
What is your least favorite technique and why? 
My least favorite technique...well, I haven't come across that one yet. I happen to love them all!
What is on your "to do" or "to learn" list? 
On my "to do list" is sculpturing and miniatures of course. I have dabbled in it a little but would love to learn more.
Do you mix your own colors? Why or why not? 
Sometimes I like mixing my own colors but have used recipes when I have been in a hurry or didn't have the right color on hand.
How do you keep your designs fresh and original? 
I love looking at blogs to see what the trends are and what is the latest craze. It is great getting ideas, but you still want it to have your own flair, so I try an incorporate my own style. Polymer clay is great because you can design one of kind pieces. I think participating in challenges helps you to think outside the box which helps in designing original creations.
What keeps you from getting into a creative rut? 
I love reading and gardening, so when I experience a creative rut, I take a break and read a book and so some gardening. I love to look at art in general for color schemes and ideas...nature is great as well. I think for many of us, color is a challenge...what colors do I use and how to put them together. This usually will get us in a slump, well, it does for me. If I have some colors to play off of, my creative juices start rolling. And again, checking out blogs or websites help out as well. One more thing, taking a class or trying out a new tutorial also help get those creative juices flowing again.
What is your favorite brand of clay if you have one and why?
I would have to say that Sculpey Premo is by far my favorite brand of clay, although sometimes I like using Fimo clay as well.
Here's just a sample of what can be found in GemsPCCreations.  Be sure to stop by and see all the beautiful items she has to offer!

1 Smooshing Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

A class with Christi will lead anyone to a clay addiction :-)