Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Introducing adamsarts


adamsarts


What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
I have health problems that have made it really hard for me to play guitar anymore, which I did professionally for almost 30 years. I found myself aching to do something with my hands. I was in a craft store one day, saw the clay and thought I’d give it a try. Long story short, I fell in love!

What inspires you to create?
Love, my family, nature, music, the art of others…..you name it!

Do you have a favorite technique?
I am pretty new at this so I’d have to say just blending colors is still really exciting to me. Playing with mineral powders and inks is my big thing right now.

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?


What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
So far, it’s jewelry for me.

How do you decide what to make?
Color seems to be the deciding factor these days. I blend a new color, see what it reminds me of and then I go from there.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
There is so much that I haven’t even attempted to make yet that this is a really loaded question but I am interested in trying my hand at some home accessories. Just, maybe later. When I am done exploring jewelry, if that ever happens.

What makes polymer clay a better fit for your products than other mediums?
I can’t imagine trying to make this jewelry out of ceramics. The firing, the glazing, the having to have access to a kiln..

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
Go easy on yourself and have fun! If you pick at yourself for every tiny flub you will never get to enjoy your craft! Besides, until you cure it, polyclay has a built in “forgiveness factor.” Just take it apart and start over!

Visit adamsarts.artfire.com

2 Smooshing Thoughts:

Em+Mad said...

Great post! I love Wendy's work :D

Cat said...

Lovely post, pretty picks!