Sunday, April 26, 2009

Introducing Dragonsglass

Dragonsglass


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"retired paramedic, SAHM to a bunch of fur kids. artist"

What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
Let's see. What got me interested was a swap with a friend. I swapped her fresh grapefruit for an anklet made of PC. My thought when I saw it was "OOOOO I can do this!" and that's all she wrote.

What inspires you to create?
Nature and the great outdoors is my main inspiration. The colors of nature sometimes blows me away. I love using the color palettes in canes and focals.

Do you have a favorite technique?
my favorite of all techniques is caning. Not like flower canes but intricate images canes and kaleidoscopes. And of those, monster canes and reducing them :D

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
I have tons of fav's I have made. Most if not all can be seen on my Flickr site. I have put some of my newer work here. I also have some video instructions on how to do some cane things on my web site.

What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
My creation of choice is realistic or pictorial canes. I love making the PNW indian style totem animals into canes. I am not much into flowers and leaves but i can do those too. I have a monster cane reduction tutorial on my website that shows my PNW totem cane....a measley 13 pounds. Due to two wrist surgeries on the same wrist my caning has been pretty much non-happening for the last year. I am now able to make smaller (under 1 pound) canes and reduce them now.

How do you decide what to make?
Unless I have a specific cane in mind I usually surf the web or look at my Indian art books for inspiration for a cane. Sometimes I just shut my mind off and let what ever happens come out in the clay. Most of the time what comes out of the oven surprises me a lot.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
I really want to sculpt a dragon. Not a happy go lucky cutsie fartsie one....but not an angry one either. Some day.

Visit Dragonsglass.artfire.com

0 Smooshing Thoughts: