Thursday, August 20, 2009

Introducing treeseaoriginals

treeseaoriginals

treeseaoriginals


What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
My love for polymer clay started a little over a year ago. I was having lots of fun making jewelry with some vintage things of my mom's and the regular glass beads, crystal beads etc. I just could not come up with something that seemed to be "just me". I was on vacation at our friend's home in Wisconsin. She is an artist and very crafty. She said, lets order some polymer clay and play. So, we sent off for it, had it express delivered and for the next three days we played. This is a picture of one of the first things I ever made that week
treeseaoriginals


What inspires you to create?
I'm really inspired by bright happy colors. I also love nature and especially flowers. On our trip to Ireland, I took about 1500 pictures and I would say over half of them were flowers.

Do you have a favorite technique?
I'd have to say my favorite technique "this week" is the skinner blend and also trying different things with extruded clay. I am facinated with what happens on the inside of log extrusion of different colors. I wish I could understand the physics of it, but I do know that the designs are really cool. I've used a few in some of my pendents and have some more on the back burner right now.
In fact, I entered a little contest entitled "over the rainbow" at Polymer Clay Central. I did a pendent with the skinner blend and extrusions for that. I can't post a picture of it here since it has to be something that is not up for sale or on a web site somewhere (the rules), but it should be viewable sometime after the 20th of august at http://polymerclaycentral.com/chall_jul09.html. and I believe anyone can vote...so I hope that you all go out and vote for me! I don't know if my name will be there or just the piece. Once the site comes up, I can let you know.

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
So far I have two favorites. The first is the Animal Print Necklace. For some reason, I love the colors and the beads turned out really nice. I had another one that was just a little different and I only got to wear it one day before someone bought it off my neck. So I went home and made a similar one. So far, it's still up for grabs.

treeseaoriginals


This is really my favorite. It's the first time I ever did a cane of anything and I just loved how it turned out. I was so surprised that I could make something like this.
Flickr


What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
I love the versatility of polymer clay. I am always drawn towards bright colorful things rather than muted colors. I am starting to try different things besides pendents and beads. I have not posted anything yet, but I am making some Christmas ornaments that I really like. I am still trying to figure out what I like best. It is so new that I am sure my ideas will change...maybe even by tomorrow and what is so great is that whatever I think of, the clay will probably fit right in.

How do you decide what to make?
I made all the little "fishys" when I was going to a Marina for a craft show. That was really a lot of fun and some turned out a lot nicer than others. My inspiration for the fish was also the color combinations. generally I will get a feel for the colors that I want to work with and then something just sort of evolves as I manipulate the clay. If I get a good design, I might make one or two more just like it, but I tend to just make one of a kind and then go on to something else.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
I also want to try using polymer clay to cover some items. I have made some mixed media pieces over the years and would like to incorporate the polymer in those as well. Right now I have plans to use polymer to cover the lids on some wooden boxes that I have. I have never even thought of doing some type of sculpting with the clay. Isn't that funny??? :-)

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
My best advice for someone starting out it to not be afraid to try something new. I just got a book and read it and then got the clay and for me it was like finding my niche. I love it. It is a great way to relax for me. It's all been fun and my only problem is that I get attached to all my little creations and sometimes it is hard to part with them.

Visit treeseaoriginals.artfire.com

0 Smooshing Thoughts: