Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Butterscotch_Grove

Butterscotch_Grove

Photobucket


How did you learn to use polymer clay? Internet, experimenting, books, classes.....
I wanted to make a carved doll for our state fair - but carving wood (at least the scrap wood and brush I was using) proved to be too difficult. I decided to experiment with sculpting, instead, and ended up with a fabulous girl pirate doll - cloth body, Super Sculpey head, hands and feet. In the process I discovered Polymer Clay Central and Polymer Cafe, and I've been hooked since. I've never taken a class, but I have a BIG pc library. I got on to the message boards at PCC in February last year, and jumped right in to the "Thing A Day Challenge" - a great way to try out new techniques and get a lot of work done...and I didn't know enough to be intimidated!

What is your favorite tool to work with?
Sculpting tools for doll making.

Do you like to work with any mediums other than polymer clay?
I sew, embroider, felt (a little) and I'm a novice painter/mixed media artist.

What is your favorite polymer clay technique & why?
Other than sculpting, I LOVE making millefiori canes.

What is your least favorite technique and why?
Well, it's not really a clay technique, but I really don't like making jewelry.

What is on your "to do" or "to learn" list?
So many things! I've got ideas for some wonderful clay characters, including a woman in a sari decorated with paisley cane slices, and a Mr. Speedo - you know, that guy on the beach who really shouldn't be wearing a speedo but is in denial? I've also got to find a "bread and butter" technique for some smaller and less labor intensive items to sell more regularly.

Do you mix your own colors? Why or why not?
Yup. Mainly because I make a lot of canes, and so have lots of scrap cane ends to use up.


How do you keep your designs fresh and original?
I've not been at this long enough to do anything more than once or twice - everything's still fresh to me!

What keeps you from getting into a creative rut?
Reading, surfing, playing with my clay...looking at Flickr...PCC. There is inspiration everywhere!

What is your favorite brand of clay if you have one and why?
I like Fimo or even Fimo Soft for caning. I have cold hands and live in a cold climate, so Soft is firm enough for me. I've mainly used Super Sculpey for doll-making, but I recently won some Cernit from Marie Segal, and can't wait to try it!

Is there anything else that you would like to add?
Polymer Clay is an absolutely WONDERFUL medium, and the people at PCC and on the message boards are warm and friendly and giving - VERY generous with their suggestions and help. I consider myself blessed to have found this little corner of the art world.

Butterscotch_Grove.artfire.com
Butterscotch_Grove's Blog
Butterscotch_Grove on Flickr


2 Smooshing Thoughts:

Jackie said...

Yay Melissa Bierer! It's great that you were featured on the Polymer Clay Smooshers blog - I am so glad you came into the clay world, and therefore, my world. It's been great getting to know you and your family from such a distance. Your claying has come along so well! I am very proud of you, and happy to count you among my friends. -Jackie Sieben

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks, Jackie!

By the way, Folks - I LOVE making pendants and even beads. By "I don't like making jewelry" I meant I don't like stringing beads! (Sorry for the confusion, Mom-in-law!)