Friday, January 22, 2010

Christies-Cubby

Christies-Cubby

Photobucket

With all the mediums available for crafting why did you choose Polymer clay?
Well, I wanted metal clay, but it's expensive right now, & needs a kiln. I did a search, & saw a few things that can be done with polymer clay, so here I'am.

How did you learn to use polymer clay? Internet, experimenting, books, classes.....
I'm a dive right in type of person. I do alot of belly flops before taking the actual swim class, so I go by experimenting. Haha!

What is your favorite tool to work with?
Curved Scalpel

Do you like to work with any mediums other than polymer clay?
I work with a variety, but I do like plaster second to clay.

What is your favorite polymer clay technique & why?
Mock gemstones, because I love rocks & minerals. Skinner Blend along with a few others for a nice effect are great too. I like the fade quality.

What is your least favorite technique and why?
If the whole sanding & buffing process can be considered a technique, then I guess those. In a perfect world, I'd prefer those steps to magically happen in the toaster oven. :) I can never seem to get my fingerprints all the way out of the piece, or get it shiny enough to my liking.

What is on your "to do" or "to learn" list?
Other than metal clay, it's to learn how to do faux marble. I know to make a slit, add ink or paint, then reseal the clay, but it's easier said than done.

Do you mix your own colors? Why or why not?
I'm still a beginner with polymer clay, & have only had the pleasure of working with three colors so far, but yes I mixed the scraps. I wanted to see what effect it would have, & what color it would produce. For future use, with multiple colors I'll mix them too, just to see what color I can get that I can't buy in the store. It's all about handmade, right?

How do you keep your designs fresh and original?
Alot of different things inspire me. Mostly Nature & Science. It's always completely different, & offers a continuous supply of ideas.

What keeps you from getting into a creative rut?
I kind of prefer to get in a rut from time to time. Once my mind kicks back in, it explodes with alot of fun things to do.

What is your favorite brand of clay if you have one and why?
Fimo. It's a little softer to work with, & it seems to bake more evenly.

Christies-Cubby.artfire.com

Christies-Cubby on Etsy

Christies-Cubby on DeviantART

Christies-Cubby on Facebook

0 Smooshing Thoughts: