Friday, March 11, 2011

Introducing christinas-studio


christinas-studio


What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
My Mom actually. I'd never heard of the stuff before, strictly a paper and pencil artist until Mom brought me a few 2oz blocks of Sculpey to see what I could do with it. She's always coming up with ideas and supplies to try.

What inspires you to create?
Lots of things inspire me at different times. My mood, the weather, looking at other artists awesome work, surfing the net for photos. Sometimes an idea hits me while I'm listening to my favorite jazz tunes.

Do you have a favorite technique?
Hmm, I dunno if I do anything that is polymer technique traditional. Oh wait, I just learned a way to smooth clay out using a soft paint brush to apply clay softener over areas that need to be nice and clean.

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
Oh man, so hard to decide! Aside from the piece I'm working on now, I would have to say either Mr. Pinks the ferret or the collection of 33 guinea pigs I did for a customer last year.



What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
Animals sculpture is #1 on my list. I'm an animal lover and sculpting critters gives me the opportunity to learn about new animals and meet new people.

How do you decide what to make?
Since most of my work is commissioned, usually that is up to the customer. When I get a chance to do an original sculpture, I tend to browse through reference photos on morguefile and wetcanvas until I see something that strikes my fancy.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
Lots! When I have time there are plans for lions, other wildlife, livestock, and the crescendo of clay will be when I'm able to proficiently sculpt people.

What makes polymer clay a better fit for your products than other mediums?
Several things: I don't need a kiln, it's easy to find at the local craft stores and online, it comes in bulk, the possibilities are numerous for it's uses.

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
Have fun with it. Try all the different techniques and projects that catch your eye. Don't give up if something doesn't fit well with you, move on until you find a niche that does. And if you do manage to settle on one or two things that tickle your fancy, remember that proficiency comes with practice. :)

Visit christinas-studio.artfire.com

7 Smooshing Thoughts:

Miranda's Critters said...

Super cute work!

Janie said...

Her dog sculptures are amazing!

Desert Rubble said...

look at all those guinea pigs! I love that ferret s much, what an awesome piece it is. Love your work!
lynn

Unknown said...

Hey! Das me! hehe Thanks for all your compliments! :)

Lupe Meter said...

Love her sculptured little animals! Absolutely adorable! Awesome work!

ArtFairly Aware said...

Wow! They are so lifelike! and SO cute!

Desert Wind Designs said...

The dog with the hearts is so adorable!