Monday, June 8, 2009

Introducing MichiganMud

Michigan Mud

MichiganMud



What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
I've always been interested in clay, but wasn't sure how to get started. One day I just spontaneously picked up a couple blocks and decided to go for it!

What inspires you to create?
Nature is probably my biggest inspiration, especially water. Sometimes, though, it's something that seems completely mundane-my son's toy or something I see on TV. Almost anything might get my wheels turnin'!

Do you have a favorite technique?
I like to do really simple things. Using stamps is one of my favorite ways to dress up a bit of clay.

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
Hmm, that's a tough one! I think this is my favorite at the moment. I like that's beautiful but simple at the same time.


MichiganMud


What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
I really like to make jewelry. Rings have been my most popular item and pins and necklaces are fun to do, as well.

How do you decide what to make?
I don't think about it much beforehand. I just let the clay tell me what it wants to be. Sometimes I don't know what something is going to be until it's baked and sitting on my counter for awhile.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
I really want to try some of the more advanced techniques and more intricate pieces. I'm kind of waiting for my work area that we're planning to get finished. I LOVE mica shift and can't wait to give it a go!

What makes polymer clay a better fit for your products than other mediums?
Honestly? I love that I can't "screw it up". If I don't like how a piece is going I can start over!

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
Go for it! Don't be intimidated. Just grab a couple colors that you love and start playing. You'll be amazed what you can do!

Visit MichiganMud.artfire.com

0 Smooshing Thoughts: