Friday, May 8, 2009

Introducing ColtPixy

ColtPixy

Blissful Heart


What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
I had sculpted with polymer clay years ago and liked working with it. Later a tendon injury and doctor's recommendation that I change mediums from mosaics to clay lead me right back to polymer clay.

What inspires you to create?
For as long as I can remember I have felt an urge to create things. I am constantly sketching ideas. Everything inspires me from things I see in nature, to a comment made to me in conversation.

Do you have a favorite technique?
I am currently obsessed with mica shift.

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
This trinket box is my favorite. The mushroom glows in the dark. It is entirely polymer clay except for his wool hair that I dyed green and the red ribbon. The mushroom cap lifts off and the stem is the trinket box.

catepillar box

What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
That is a hard question because I love that virtually anything can be made with polymer clay. There is not as much waste as with other mediums because until it has been baked you can smoosh it up and start over again. Making it very cost effective to practice.

How do you decide what to make?
Ever have a song that just will not stop playing in you mind? That happens to me with the things I make. An idea keeps recurring in my mind and I feel compelled to make it.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
Yes, canes. I have not tried making those yet and I am fascinated by them.

What makes polymer clay a better fit for your products than other mediums?
The fact that it does not matter if I want to make something 3 dimensional or 2 dimensional it can be done with one medium, polymer clay.

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
To play with it and have fun.

Visit ColtPixy.artfire.com

0 Smooshing Thoughts: