Sunday, May 17, 2009

You had questions, we have answers

I've seen things in tutorials that say you can paint the clay with acrylic paint...is this before, or after, or "pick one"?

Yes you can paint on the clay with acrylics and I do it after the clay is baked. You'll also want to glaze the clay after you paint it so the paint doesn't scratch off.
LaDeDaCreations

You can do it either before or after. Personally I prefer before because then the paint bakes into the clay and it won't smear after it is baked. You can paint it afterwards too but I find that the paint smears and you have to seal it to make it smearproof. Seal it after the paint dries.
gamekitty

you can use it on raw clay OR baked clay. it all depends on the look you are going after. I use it on textured items both raw and baked.
Dragonsglass

If you're wanting to add a patina to your piece you will want to paint with acrylic paints after you bake and be sure to varnish to protect the paint. If you're using acrylic paint as part of a faux technique (such as faux turquoise) or for a layer in mokume gane, you would paint the raw clay.
intothedawn

Painting can be done on either raw or baked clay. I like using a very faint acrylic wash on my sculptures after they are cured just for a little bit of color here and there.
For other things I really like mixing my own colors with just clay, no paint.
ColtPixy

Seriously, how do you get the translucent to BE translucent and not look like fish scales? (Never had much luck with it in the past, but want to try it again)

The translucent always turns out kind of milky looking and not actually clear. So I'm not sure if there's a trick to that or not.
LaDeDaCreations

I have heard that one way to get it 'clearer' is to drop it in ice water straight out of the oven. I havent tried it yet, so I dont know if it works. I've also heard that 'Sculpey Premo Frost' ends up the 'clearest', but that none end up looking like glass or anything.
HaffinaCreations


1) You can tent your work with foil. That does not always work though.
2) Bury your work in corn starch before baking and then sand it afterwards (never tried it; heard it from Cindy Lietz)
3) Bleach your work by soaking it in bleach until it becomes more clear (never tried that either)
4) Use a different brand of poly clay (people have good things to say about Kato translucent or frost premo; never tried it either)
5) Glaze your work after you are done.
6) If you are embedding it in resin, you don't have to bake it. Just pour a layer of resin on the mold you are using. Wait for the resin to cure completely. Then put your unfinished clay work in the mold and pour another layer of resin until it covers it, and wait for it to cure. The clay is then "sandwiched" between the resin and it has a cool effect.
gamekitty

It is never truly translucent. The best way to make it appear so is to use very very thin slices, bake it in a covered pan at the right temp, put item directly in ice bath and sand the heck out of it
Gingerbells

Translucent clay: the trick is practice. The translucent has to be super super thin to not leave the "fish scale" look. When slicing a cane it has to be almost tissue paper thin for you to almost eliminate the shadow. You can also trim away the translucent from the slice to help out. the rest is sanding sanding and some more sanding.
Dragonsglass

Translucent clay is tricky to work with. Some of the "scales" may be little pockets of air trapped, so be careful when conditioning clay so that no air gets trapped. Also, be sure that translucent clay gets conditioned enough. I find that if I don't condition the clay long enough, I tend to see little scaly looking spots. For translucent pieces to really look their best, sanding is the key. Sand with at least 4 different grits (400 to 1000) of wet/dry sandpaper to bring out the translucent layers in your pieces. The more sanding you do with more and finer grits, the better it will look.
intothedawn


In all these cane tutorials, I see these HUGE fat canes. I know you are supposed to reduce it, but if you are only going to make a handful of beads, what do most of YOU do with the extra?? I'd hate to waste that much clay for just 10 beads.

As far as the extra clay from the canes, I use it as scrap for other projects so nothing is wasted. Say I'm making an incense burner and I want to use a certain pattern, I will take my scraps, make them into a ball and get it good an soft then slice the pieces off of the pattern I want to use and place it all over my scrap ball and shape the burner how ever I want. Or you can make a pendant with the same concept just smaller.
LaDeDaCreations

Sometimes I keep the cane for later, I might decide to make something with it later. Other times I smoosh it up and make swirly cabochons or beads. Sometimes I smoosh it up and use it for bead centres.. with different canes over the top.
Haffina

You can use the huge canes for all kinds of things: beads, slices, pattern sheets, resin embeds, cool color mixes, etc... I keep them around in ziploc bags so that when I can find a use for it I can just warm it up with my hands to condition it a little and then slice. There are many ways to revive an old cane, but I don't keep canes long enough for me to find out how long they last.
gamekitty

Make more beads :o). really I just keep the extra and use it on other projects or combine them to make other more complex canes. Canes are addicting. No clay is ever wasted you can always find ways to use it, I have a covered dish os scrap that I use for bead guts and the inside of sculpts.
Gingerbells

huge fat canes....my favorite :) I am a cane maker. I make huge canes. I reduce them and cut them into 2" long sections and sell them. Sometimes I use my canes on pieces, but most of the time they are to be sold.
Dragonsglass

The perfect solution to lots of extra canes-- SELL THEM! There are many PC artists that simply make and sell raw canes to people who want to make their own beads for jewelry designs, but aren't interested in making canes. Do a little online research to find out what size cane is going for what kind of price, and put 'em in your store for sale!
intothedawn

This is one of my very favorite things about this medium there is virtually no waste. This makes practicing new things very economical.
ColtPixy

For the jewelry makers...where do you get your necklace bails?

I normally make my bails with wire, dont really like most of the bails you can buy. If I'm making a pendant in polymer clay I will sometimes make a loop with a piece of wire and embed it in the pendant before I bake it.
Haffina

You can find them on ebay under aanraku bails. They have a flat back where you can apply glue on there if you do not want to pierce a hole in the clay before baking. If you do pierce the clay before baking you can find bails everywhere: type in pendent bails on google or ebay and you will find tons of sources and styles.
gamekitty

There are great supply sellers on Artfire, I also like online shops like Artbeads.com
Gingerbells

I make most of mine with wire of aluminum flashing. However, there are many places on the internet you can get them. Rings n Things has them, Fire Mountain gems has them and so on. Google jewelry bails.
Dragonsglass

I often like to use clay to make bails for my pendants (or make it part of my pendant) like this necklace:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Other favorite techniques include using eyepins (available at any craft store) or creating large holes in pendants so I can string them on cords like this:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
intothedawn

All of the above and I have even used an eye pin wrapped in fine wire to give it tooth for the clay to hold onto.
ColtPixy

where can I get a clay gun? I saw a tutorial I want to try, and think I may need one.

I got my gun at Hobby Lobby.
LaDeDaCreations

There are various types of clay guns. Kemper and sculpey make the basic ones but they are the hardest to use. Makins have one with a hand crank which I thought is clever. My personal favorite is a clay gun that looks like a garlic press! However, I recommend a kemper one you can get the adapter that makes it squirt clay out like a caulking gun. You can find them easier on ebay or google. I never had much luck with craft stores to find the right thing.
gamekitty

I love the Makins brand clay extruder, I got mine online from polymerclayexpress.com
Gingerbells

The one I recommend is the Makins professional with the twist for pushing the clay. They can be found online in many stores like polymer clay express, clay alley, ebay and so on
Dragonsglass

The Makin's Clay Extruder is available at Hobby Lobby and online.
intothedawn

Why is this stuff so dang addicting??? I messed with clay for HOURS last night, and lost track of the time!!

For me, clay is addicting because I can smash it, beat it with a rolling pin, poke holes in it, then stick it in the oven and not have to do all those things to my husband! LOL!
LaDeDaCreations

Because its fun..
Haffina

It is addictive to me because it is squishy and you can do all kinds of different things with them. Plus it is fun to be a kid and mess around with clay and you can bake it to save it.
gamekitty

yup that happens, I have lost many hours of sleep thinking of all the cool things that can be done with it. Give in Resistance is futile........
Gingerbells

Better to be addicted to clay then drugs in my book :D Enjoy the addiction for there are NO 12 step programs for us :)
Dragonsglass

Because there's never a dull moment with clay! There's so much you can do with it, you never run out of fun new ideas to try.
intothedawn

For me it is addicting because it is never boring. The things that can be done with it seem limitless. My first love with polymer clay was sculpting then I became entranced with mica shift and mokume gane. Now I find myself attracted to textures. Never boring at all.
ColtPixy

Can I use polymer clay over an aluminum cuff bracelet or will the clay crack? How thick would it need to be if I could and can the clay be worn next to the skin?

You can I have done it before with nice results.
The bracelet will not be flexible so make sure it fits before you cover it.
I use #2 thickness on my Atlas PM.
I have never had a problem wearing the clay next to my skin.
Cuffs are nice but I prefer to make and wear bangles. They are a more sturdy wearable bracelet.
Gingerbells

i know the clay can be worn on the skin. but if you have air pockets it will crack.
KellysClayCreations

I have never used the aluminum cuffs before but yes you can wear polymer clay next to your skin.
LaDeDaCreations

You can use an aluminum cuff but you will need to use a strong clay that is not brittle after baking. Cover the cuff armature with a thin coat Sobo or similar PVA glue and let it dry. This will give the cuff a bit of tooth for the clay to hold onto. Polymer clay is fine to be worn next to the skin.
ColtPixy

0 Smooshing Thoughts: