Monday, May 4, 2009

Introducing Gingerbells

Gingerbells

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Polymer clay is just one of the many mediums with which Gingerbells uses to create.
.


What got you interested in polymer clay as a medium?
I have been a bead-aholic for as long as I can remember and I love to make jewelry.
About 5 years ago I was becoming frustrated trying to find interesting beads for my designs. I found many beautiful lampwork beads but they were way out of my budget. One day while looking on line for beads I came across some amazing beads made with polymer clay and I was hooked. I began researching and reading everything I could and the first time I picked up my first cube of clay I knew it was the thing for me. It has been my favorite medium ever since.

What inspires you to create?
I am most inspired by the creative process and color.

Do you have a favorite technique?
My favorite thing to do is sculpt flowers and make canes.

Of everything you have created which is your favorite?
This is a hand mirror I made a couple of years ago for my friends Mother in Law for a birthday gift. It is made with 2 tongue depressors a mirror and polymer clay. I didn't use any paint or finish on it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I enjoyed making these tiny flip flops.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

These are my favorite tile beads.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What do you prefer to make out of polymer clay and why?
I love to make things that are both pretty and functional. I like to make beads more then any thing. I also like to do little sculpts because I am not good at it and I like the challenge.

How do you decide what to make?
I make what ever has been keeping me awake thinking about it other then that I rarely have a plan when I start working; I just go where the clay takes me.

Is there something you wish you could make in clay that you have not yet?
I would love to make a sculpture of a person that doesn't look like a cartoon.

What makes polymer clay a better fit for your products than other mediums?
I love it because it can be used in so many ways that is only limited by my imagination and it is so easily incorporated into many of the other mediums I work in.

What is your best advice for someone starting out in polymer clay?
There's no right or wrong with polymer clay. It takes a lot of practice and really that's the most fun part so jump in and smoosh some clay and see what happens. Be careful it is addictive.

Visit Gingerbells.artfire.com

1 Smooshing Thoughts:

Brandy said...

I love those tiny flip flops. I'm off to find them in her shop! Thanks for sharing this great artist!